Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Book Review: White Cat

I didn't win her "con"-test, but I managed to snag my hands on a copy of Holly Black's White Cat, anyway. Here's the cover, and a link to the Barnes & Noble webpage whereby you can pre-order a copy (and you should).


White Cat is the first book in a series called "The Curse Workers." In this series, Black is creating an alternate world, in which some people have special abilities that are exciting and terrifying to those who do not have such abilities. Thus, they are referred to as "Curse Workers."

Black has such a way with words. If you haven't read one of her books, then you may not realize this, and I suggest remedying the situation immediately. She has also written a trilogy of interrelated YA books: Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside. (Amazing.) She wrote The Spiderwick Chronicles, working with her friend and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi - a fantastic series meant to be a good read, while still being more reader friendly, so that people aren't overwhelmed.

Black tends to write fantasy works, but she is able to make them believable. You read Tithe, and suddenly, the fairy world doesn't seem that far away. I read White Cat, and personally thought "Wouldn't it be cool if everyone wore gloves?" (See, you have no idea what I'm talking about - but you CAN know, if you purchase the book.)

The action moves smoothly, the characters aren't all perfect, aren't all stereotypes, and cause the reader to feel for them.

I cannot rave enough about this book. I highly suggest reading it, and I know I'm looking forward to the sequel Red Glove.

2 comments:

Possum said...

I like Holly Black. I insanely adore Valiant from her trilogy with faeries. =) She's such a good writer! Seriously. I wish I was friends with her. D;

But! I think I am going to read White Cat. I don't see why I wouldn't! From what you've said, Holly Black has done it again!

It's so awesome you've got an ARC. I am jealous of you.

Shelly Quade said...

You could stalk Holly Black on twitter. (Helpful?)

Working in a bookstore, don't you have access to ARCs? If your boss hasn't talked to you about this yet, you should grab him by the lapel, throw him against the wall, and DEMAND ARC access. Or, you know, ask nicely. YOU know your boss better than I do.

Anyway, definitely read "White Cat." Black's writing always amazes & entertains me; "White Cat" was no exception.