Wednesday, February 2, 2011

First Blog of February - WHOO!

Now that I have seen "Stripped to Kill," I thought I would do a quick review of the movie.

I'm sure that many of you who, like me, like to watch horrible movies so you can laugh & make fun of them, wanted to watch the movie simply b/c of the title.

Well, if you love horribly campy '80s movies, this flick is definitely suited to your tastes. If, on the other hand, you're more into current pop culture or movies that are actually good & might withstand the test of time, avoid this movie at all costs.

First of all, there are a lot of long stripper sequences. My comment, while watching, was that "They're not dancing - they're doing gymnastics" - which is great for a strip club, but still. I felt like I was watching girls whose former dreams of Olympic gymnastic competition were quashed, and the logic of this film dictated that their only course of action was to subsequently hump a stripper pole.

Then, there's the hard-ass female protagonist cop, who's convinced to try out for amateur night as an undercover & get all the information the strippers don't want to tell the cops by her partner (as a joke). B/c strippers don't trust cops, you guys. Not even when they're being killed off, one by one.

The best part of the movie, in my opinion, is the amateur night scene wherein female protagonist cop (fpc) "dances" for the first time... That scene, to be fair, is not gymnastic, either. It's just terrible. I didn't even know it was possible to lack the amount of rhythm that is portrayed in the movie. It's almost painful to watch it... & definitely funny.

There's also this awesome dialogue, such as:

mpc: I can't handle all this emotional stuff.
fpc: Then make me stop.
mpc: How do I do that?
fpc: You're a cop; figure it out.
(leads to make-out scene)

The end of the movie wrapped up extremely quickly, and I was left with the same sort of abrupt feeling by the very ending that I received upon first reading the Iliad & the Aeneid. Due to the campiness of the movie, I doubt that this was done with any attempt at literary pretension. It was probably done b/c a popular TV ending to shows in the '70s & '80s was to end on a freeze frame very shortly after the suspense was lifted.

To any interested parties, there is a sequel.

Have you seen the movie? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments! Or about any campy movies you've seen - particularly if they're hilarious!

No comments: